March 31, 2019
Sunday March 31, 2019
THIRD SUNDAY OF LENT
ADORATION OF THE HOLY CROSS
While only Orthodox Christians may approach the chalice for Holy Communion, everyone is welcome to venerate the Cross and receive the blessed bread at the end of the Divine Liturgy.
Special note: Except for those who are elderly and/or disabled, please remain standing during Holy Communion.
VARIATION IN TODAY’S DIVINE LITURGY
- THE THIRD ANTIPHON: - Exalt ye the Lord our God, and worship at His footstool. O Lord, save Thy people and bless Thine inheritance. Feed them, and lift them up forever.
- APOLYTIKION FOR THE HOLY CROSS - Tone 1: O Lord, save Thy people and bless Thine inheritance, granting to Thy people victory over all their enemies, and by the power of Thy Cross preserving Thy commonwealth.
- THE ENTRANCE HYMN: Come, let us worship and fall down before Christ. Save us, O Son of God, Who art risen from the dead; who sing to Thee. Alleluia.
- APOLYTIKION FOR THE RESURRECTION - Tone 3: Let the heavens rejoice and the earth be glad, for the Lord hath done a mighty act with His own arm. He hath trampled down death by death, and become the first-born from the dead. He hath delivered us from the depths of Hades, granting the world the Great Mercy.
- REPEAT NO. 2 ABOVE.
- APOLYTIKION OF ST. GEORGE – Tone 4: As deliverer of captives and defender of the poor, healer of the infirm, champion of kings, victorious, Great Martyr George, intercede with Christ our God for our soul’s salvation.
- KONTAKION FOR SUNDAYS IN GREAT LENT - Tone 8: To thee, the Champion Leader, do I offer thanks of victory, O Theotokos, thou who hast delivered me from terror; but as thou that hast that power invincible, O Theotokos, thou alone can set me free: from all forms of danger free me and deliver me, that I may cry unto thee: Hail, O Bride without Bridegroom.
Prokeimenon: O Lord, save Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.
To Thee, O Lord, have I cried, O my God.
The Reading from the Epistle of St. Paul to the Hebrews. (4:14-5:6)
BRETHREN, since we have a High Priest, Who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we have not a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but One Who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. For every high priest chosen from among men is appointed to act on behalf of men in relation to God, to offer gifts and sacrifices for sins. He can deal gently with the ignorant and wayward, since he himself is beset with weakness. Because of this he is bound to offer sacrifice for his own sins as well as for those of the people. And one does not take the honor upon himself, but he is called by God, just as Aaron was. So also Christ did not exalt Himself to be made a high priest, but was appointed by Him Who said to Him, “Thou art My Son, today I have begotten Thee”; as He says also in another place, “Thou art a priest forever, after the order of Melchizedek.”
The Reading from the Holy Gospel according to St. Mark. (8:34-9:1)
The Lord said, “If any man would come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow Me. For whoever would save his life will lose it; and whoever loses his life for My sake and the Gospel’s will save it. For what does it profit a man, to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul? For what can a man give in return for his soul? For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him will the Son of man also be ashamed, when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels.” And Jesus said to them, “Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death before they see the Kingdom of God come with power.”
THE LORD’S PRAYER (In Arabic phonetics)
ABANA LLATHI FI SSAMAWAT / LI-YATAQADAS ISMUK / LI-YATI MALAKOOTUK/ LI-TAKUN MA-SHEEATUK / KAMA FI SSAMA-EE KATHALIKA ALA L-ARD/ KHUBZANA L-JAWHARI AHTINA L-YOWM / WATRUK LANA MA ALYNA, KAMA NATRUKU NAHNU LIMAN LANA ALYH / WA LA TUDKHILNA FI TAJRIBAH / LAKIN NAJJINA MINA SHIRR-EER.
Important Dates to Calendar:
- Yes Trip to Providence, RI POSTPONED to May 10-12.
- April 3rd - St. George Adult Fellowship Fatayer Bake Sale
- April 13th - JOY/SOYO Lenten Meeting & Baking Event, see flyer
- May 11th & 12th - St. George Weekend
- May 18th - St. Mary's, Cambridge 90th Anniversary Celebration, Crowne Plaza - Woburn
- June 8th - PLC Events at St. George Norwood, hosted by St. Stephen's & Emmanuel Church
- June 22nd - PLC Events here, hosted by St. Stephen's & Emmanuel Churrch
- July 21-28th - Antiochian Orthodox Convention, Grand Rapids, MI
MICHAEL G. HAMATY SCHOLARSHIP
St. George, Boston, high school seniors may obtain scholarship applications by downloading online at www.stgeorgeofboston.org or by calling the church office. Deadline date for submission of application is May 1, 2019. This
scholarship serves as a living memorial to Mr. Hamaty, whose intention was to assist the youth of the parish as they pursue their academic studies at an accredited college or university.
]Francis Maria Scholarship - Available through the Archdiocese’s scholarship page, www.antiochian.org/scholarships. Several scholarships of $2,500 each will be awarded to students attending an accredited 4-year college. Applications must be postmarked by May 15, 2019 and received by May 21, 2019 Read more about this scholarship and others offered by the Archdiocese by logging on to the website listed above.
]Antiochian Orthodox Christian Women of North America Scholarship Awards are available to deserving women over the age of 25 who are continuing their education in order to improve their circumstances and those of their families. Women must meet certain other requirements. Application deadline, June 1, 2019.
ALMS FOR THE NEEDY = OUR LENTEN EFFORT
We will continue to collect filled Food for Hungry People Boxes through the end of April. Please be generous. Thank you.
SPINACH FATAYER BAKE SALE
Sponsored by the St. George Adult Fellowship - Wednesday, April 3rd.
Fatayer will be sold and ready for pick up after 1:00 p.m. on the above date.
$1.50 each; $9 half dozen; $18 dozen. No orders will be taken-just come down to the church if you would like to buy some.
P.S. The Adult Fellowship would appreciate anyone who would like to help bake to come down on the above morning at 10:00 a.m.
Thank you to all those who came down to help out in any way a few weeks ago, and for those who made purchases! Your support is greatly appreciated! --The Adult Fellowship
èFROM THE BOOKSTORE: We will be ordering Faberge-Style Enamel Egg Pendants with 24” chains ($15.00 each) and Eggs with stands ($35.00 or $39.00) for Easter. If you are interested, please come to the Bookstore this morning to choose the style you want for yourself or for a special Easter Gift. We will also order icon bracelets for adults or children, also by special order, so if you are interested, you can place your order at the bookstore for these also.
èWe need 200 red Service Books for the pews to replace older ones that are in poor condition. They run $15 a piece. If anyone would like to make a donation toward these books, please see Subdn. Douglas Howdy. Thank you and God bless you!
èDecorated Palm Sunday Candles will be available soon. All proceeds to benefit the St. George PTO & Church School.
Make your Stewardship Pledge, General Donations, Great Lent & Pascha Offerings online using the secure link below "In memory of" or "For the health of" loved ones.