March 19, 2017
THIRD SUNDAY OF LENT
ADORATION OF THE HOLY CROSS
VARIATION IN TODAY’S DIVINE LITURGY
1. THIRD ANTIPHON; Exalt ye the Lord our God, and worship at His footstool. O Lord, save Thy people and bless Thine inheritance. Feed them, and lift them up forever.
2. APOLYTIKION OF THE HOLY CROSS - Tone 1; O Lord, save Thy people and bless Thine inheritance, granting to Thy people victory over all their enemies, and by the power of Thy Cross preserving Thy commonwealth.
3. THE ENTRANCE HYMN: O Come, let us worship and fall down befoe Christ, Save us, O Son of God, Who art risen from the dead; who sing to Thee. Alleluia.
4. APOLYTIKION OF THE RESURRECTION - Tone 6; When Mary stood at Thy grave, looking for Thy sacred body, angelic powers shone above Thy revered tomb; and the soldiers who were to keep guard became as dead men. Thou led Hades captive and wast not tempted thereby. Thou didst meet the Virgin and didst give life to the world, O Thou, Who art risen from the dead, O Lord, glory to Thee.
5. Repeat No. 2 above.
6. APOLYTIKION OF ST. GEORGE – TONE 4: As deliverer of captives and defender of the poor, healer of the infirm, champion of kings, victorious, Great Martyr George, intercede with Christ our God for our soul’s salvation.
7. KONTAKION FOR THE SUNDAYS IN LENT- Tone 8: To thee, the Champion Leader, do I offer thanks of victory, O Theotokos, thou who hast delivered me from terror; but as thou that hast that power invincible, O Theotokos, thou alone can set me free: from all forms of danger free me and deliver me, that I may cry unto thee: Hail, O Bride without Bridegroom.
Prokeimenon: O Lord, save Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.
To Thee, O Lord, have I cried, O my God.
The Reading from the Epistle of St. Paul to the Hebrews. (4:14-5:6)
BRETHREN, since we have a High Priest, Who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we have not a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but One Who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. For every high priest chosen from among men is appointed to act on behalf of men in relation to God, to offer gifts and sacrifices for sins. He can deal gently with the ignorant and wayward, since he himself is beset with weakness. Because of this he is bound to offer sacrifice for his own sins as well as for those of the people. And one does not take the honor upon himself, but he is called by God, just as Aaron was. So also Christ did not exalt Himself to be made a high priest, but was appointed by Him Who said to Him, “Thou art My Son, today I have begotten Thee”; as He says also in another place, “Thou art a priest forever, after the order of Melchizedek.”
The Reading from the Holy Gospel according to St. Mark. (8:34-9:1)
The Lord said, “If any man would come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow Me. For whoever would save his life will lose it; and whoever loses his life for My sake and the Gospel’s will save it. For what does it profit a man, to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul? For what can a man give in return for his soul? For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him will the Son of man also be ashamed, when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels.” And Jesus said to them, “Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death before they see the Kingdom of God come with power.”
THE LORD’S PRAYER (In Arabic phonetics)
ABANA LLATHI FI SSAMAWAT / LI-YATAQADAS ISMUK / LI-YATI MALAKOOTUK/ LI-TAKUN MA-SHEEATUK / KAMA FI SSAMA-EE KATHALIKA ALA L-ARD/ KHUBZANA L-JAWHARI AHTINA L-YOWM / WATRUK LANA MA ALYNA, KAMA NATRUKU NAHNU LIMAN LANA ALYH / WA LA TUDKHILNA FI TAJRIBAH / LAKIN NAJJINA MINA SHIRR-EER.
While only Orthodox Christians may approach the chalice for Holy Communion, everyone is welcome to venerate the Cross and receive the blessed bread at the end of the Divine Liturgy.
Special note: Except for those who are elderly and/or disabled, please remain standing during Holy Communion.
SPECIAL COLLECTION NEXT SUNDAY FOR SEMINARIANS
The money collected next Sunday will be forwarded to the Archdiocese to help provide scholarships to Archdiocesan students who are undertaking theological studies in preparation for ordination. May God bless them for their dedication to serve Christ and His Holy Church, and may He bless you for your geneorsity. See Metropolitan JOSEPH's letter enclosed.
FOOD FOR HUNGRY PEOPLE PROGRAM – We will continue to collect the boxes through the month of April. Gift certificates to local supermarkets are also being accepted for our local needy. He who feeds the hungry also feeds God.